The Battle of Argus has officially begun.
When Rygar was first announced for the Nintendo Wii, the news wasn’t received well by all who heard it (no doubt, at least in part, to the hero’s punkish redesign). However, the criticism it faced then was nothing compared to that of the revelation that The Battle of Argus was based off of 2002’s Rygar: The Legendary Adventure for the PlayStation 2...and now it’s time to see whether the condemnation was at all warranted. Whether you consider it a re-envisioning, a Wii-make or just another glorified port, it was today announced that the game has shipped and should be available in stores across North America soon. As expected from a Nintendo Wii title, The Battle of Argus features motion controls that let you use the popular system’s Wii Remote and Nunchuk to attack foes with the legendary Diskarmor. Fortunately, that’s not the extent of the changes, as the game also features new and redesigned enemies and the survivalist Gladiator Mode. For more information on Rygar: The Battle of Argus, be sure to check out the official press release below:
TORRANCE, Calif., February 3, 2008 - Video game developer and publisher Tecmo® announced today the release of Rygar: The Battle of Argus for Wii™.
The legendary warrior, Rygar, is back! A story set in the Greco-Roman era surrounding a noble warrior attempting to save Princess Harmonia, players must bring the Island of Argus back to peace and annihilate the Titans using the “Diskarmor.”
In Rygar: The Battle of Argus, intuitive use of the Wii Remote™ allows players to effectively control the powerful weapon to destroy enemies and maneuver on, around, over, and under obstacles. Players will challenge themselves in the all-new Gladiator Mode by rapidly swinging and slashing their way through non-stop waves of foes.
“…packed with hard-hitting action……the thing to satisfy your heroic, world-saving urges” - Nintendo Power, Dec. 2008
“…we’ve played it—and came away impressed” – IGN.com, Sept. 2008
Rygar arrived on the Nintendo® Entertainment System (NES) in 1987, whose legendary warrior traversed through obstacles, defeated bosses guarding the Indora gods and eventually battled King Ligar as his final task.
Fast forwarding to 2002, an all-new Rygar was released on the PlayStation® 2 computer entertainment system. The mythology from Greco-Roman culture was incorporated even more into Rygar’s environments and encounters, inspiring the next generation of Greco-Roman stylized games.
- Innovative Play Mechanics: The legendary Diskarmor shield can be used for attack, defense, or transportation all with the use of the Wii Remote
- Not the Same Rygar: Conquer new enemies, techniques, and game modes in this Wii remake of the PlayStation 2 classic
- Gladiator Mode: Play the new Gladiator Mode specially equipped for the versatile swinging movement of the Wii Remote
- Action Packed Adventure: This action-adventure title spans various unique zones and requires vanquishing the enemy and light puzzle solving
- Intense Combo Attacks: Multiple Diskarmor weapons are available to be found and upgraded with elemental power-ups such as fire, ice, and lightning. Engage the enemy with over 40 different devastating combo attacks
- Riveting Story: A story set in the Greco-Roman era surrounding a noble warrior attempting to save his Princess, bring the Island of Argus back to peace, and annihilate the Titans using only his wits, fabled Diskarmor, and captivating looks and charm
Rygar: The Battle of Argus has been rated "T” (Teen) by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB) and will carry a suggested retail price of US $39.99.
Add Your Comments!
Please keep your comments relevant to this news article. Promotional and inappropriate comments may be removed at our discretion.
You must enter a valid email address. You will be sent an email with a link you must click to confirm your comment. Your comment will not be visible until you do so. Your email address will be kept confidential, and will never be displayed or shared.